The Beating...

The speeding feet in the pounding rain. The perpetual beat of a heart. Pounding blood. There is a cave in my heart.
Stepping out of the rain, into the shadows, the noise transitions from the wash of the cloudburst to the flow of your anxious blood. Then to the pounding of your heart. It's so loud. Terrifying, yet trusted.
The roar is overwhelmed by the beating. The beating of dark membranes. You have disturbed them. You are enveloped by their plethora of leather-silk wings.
Neither bird nor beast, the ostracized. Bats. After they have settled, you see the moonlight reflected in two tapetums. The truth in those eyes, is it familiar to you? Or should you be frightened? How many lives has this creature lived?
Come in, friend. Step closer, enemy. You were washed by the rain, rinsed by the darkness, dried by the wings, and clothed. By a purpose.
Am I a panther? Am I the dusk?

THE PLAN for Labels

CHARACTERS are influential people in my tales.
BROWN is tales from a span of ages.
WHITE is tales from age 0-7.
RED is tales from age 8-14.
ORANGE is tales from age 14-21.
YELLOW is tales from age 22-28.
GREEN is tales from age 29-35.
BLUE is tales from age 36-42.
INDIGO is tales from age 43-49.
PURPLE is tales from age 50-56.
BLACK is tales from age 57-63.
Grey is an insight into how these tales may be affecting me.

Labels

Saturday, April 19, 2008

Nina

Nina was bought to replace my "brother" and boy's best-friend, Ranger. Nina was half Lab, a quarter Husky, and a quarter German Shepherd.

Despite what you'd imagine, she was as white as the driven snow. She had a brown nose and brown lips, the bottom of which pouted pout, just like my sister's bottom lip. And just like my sister, she had brown eyes.

I suppose I needn't tell you that the dog who was to replace my dog became my sister's dog. She was my sister's dog, and no one else's. She would sometime jump in the air--straight up--to catch low flying birds which she would deposit at my sisters feet. If my sister and I were playing to rough, I could expect to get attacked. The same went for anyone who upset my sister in any way. My sister reciprocated, for the most part: she wouldn't let our grandparents hit Nina. She helped Nina birth her nine puppies. She concealed Nina from my discipline.

Nina was something else; she would "kickbox" when we'd play. She'd use all four paws, plus her teeth and tail to mount elaborate attacks. As if that weren't taxing enough on her intelligence, she learned how to open ALL types of doors and to climb all types of fences.

Her intelligence prevented us from keeping her locked within our property's borders. It also cost her her life.

0 Responses: