The Beating...

The speeding feet in the pounding rain. The perpetual beat of a heart. Pounding blood. There is a cave in my heart.
Stepping out of the rain, into the shadows, the noise transitions from the wash of the cloudburst to the flow of your anxious blood. Then to the pounding of your heart. It's so loud. Terrifying, yet trusted.
The roar is overwhelmed by the beating. The beating of dark membranes. You have disturbed them. You are enveloped by their plethora of leather-silk wings.
Neither bird nor beast, the ostracized. Bats. After they have settled, you see the moonlight reflected in two tapetums. The truth in those eyes, is it familiar to you? Or should you be frightened? How many lives has this creature lived?
Come in, friend. Step closer, enemy. You were washed by the rain, rinsed by the darkness, dried by the wings, and clothed. By a purpose.
Am I a panther? Am I the dusk?

THE PLAN for Labels

CHARACTERS are influential people in my tales.
BROWN is tales from a span of ages.
WHITE is tales from age 0-7.
RED is tales from age 8-14.
ORANGE is tales from age 14-21.
YELLOW is tales from age 22-28.
GREEN is tales from age 29-35.
BLUE is tales from age 36-42.
INDIGO is tales from age 43-49.
PURPLE is tales from age 50-56.
BLACK is tales from age 57-63.
Grey is an insight into how these tales may be affecting me.

Labels

Sunday, July 6, 2008

The Proposal

My girlfriend had all the investigative spirit of Lois Lane. She was quite aware that I had received the ring. Thus, my creative genius and intuition was put to the test.

It was February. Being Arizona, it was not cold. The rain that falls rarely hits the ground, and that which does is almost as warm as you'd shower in.

In Lake Havasu, where we met, the London Bridge was reconstructed brick by brick to lure tourists to McCulloch's desert oasis at the hub of Phoenix, Las Vegas, and Barstow. To complement the bridge, The English Village was erected. A quaint series of authentic looking buildings containing myriads of shoppes.

It was here that I invited my girlfriend to spend the evening with me. I had borrowed my giant roommate's (6' 5" tall) raincoat to conceal a large package. My girlfriend was more excited than suspicious.

I told her not to worry, that I was a bit lost and was going to ask the gentleman in the strange costume for directions. After a brief conversation, I called her over to begin our evening. The man was no stranger, and he wore the garb of a gondola driver. Package still concealed beneath the coat, we cast off onto the lake under an Arizona sunset. The man's skills as a gondola driver were surpassed by his skill as a singer of fine Italian love songs.

We drifted beneath the lit bridge in the falling darkness. The gondolier's voice rang off the arched walls. As we glided out the other side, the warm rain commenced, dappling us along with the ever-brightening stars in the near distance.

As we finished the cheese and cider in the gondola's basket, unwrapped the chocolate and wrapped our legs in the blanket provided, I saw fit to reveal the mystery beneath the coat. In truth it was not one package, but three. Each was smaller than the last. I explained that they represented the past, present, and future.

The largest, past, contained our cards and love letters to one another. The dried first flowers I gave her, the rocks she collected from her visit to the Canyon as a gift for me. Our $1000 cell-phone bill!

The middle one, present, contained the most precious thing of all to me. Upon opening it, she found herself looking into a mirror.

The last, future, was to symbolize the most precious thing in my future. In it, she found the ring. As the gondolier stated after regaining control of the craft: "I suppose the bouncing means yes?" Indeed!

I asked our host to guide the craft to the shore near the town's fanciest restaurant, to top the evening off with an equally romantic dinner. Here is where my intuition paid off. Entering the lobby, my new fiance found all her friends waiting. See, I knew the first thing she'd want to do is show all her girls.

Few things have gone as perfectly in life as I plan them in my head. I'm happy that this most important event is among them!


HAPPY ANNIVERSARY, MY LOVE!


1 Responses:

Michael Mata said...

This is really romantic. I love it!