The Beating...

The speeding feet in the pounding rain. The perpetual beat of a heart. Pounding blood. There is a cave in my heart.
Stepping out of the rain, into the shadows, the noise transitions from the wash of the cloudburst to the flow of your anxious blood. Then to the pounding of your heart. It's so loud. Terrifying, yet trusted.
The roar is overwhelmed by the beating. The beating of dark membranes. You have disturbed them. You are enveloped by their plethora of leather-silk wings.
Neither bird nor beast, the ostracized. Bats. After they have settled, you see the moonlight reflected in two tapetums. The truth in those eyes, is it familiar to you? Or should you be frightened? How many lives has this creature lived?
Come in, friend. Step closer, enemy. You were washed by the rain, rinsed by the darkness, dried by the wings, and clothed. By a purpose.
Am I a panther? Am I the dusk?

THE PLAN for Labels

CHARACTERS are influential people in my tales.
BROWN is tales from a span of ages.
WHITE is tales from age 0-7.
RED is tales from age 8-14.
ORANGE is tales from age 14-21.
YELLOW is tales from age 22-28.
GREEN is tales from age 29-35.
BLUE is tales from age 36-42.
INDIGO is tales from age 43-49.
PURPLE is tales from age 50-56.
BLACK is tales from age 57-63.
Grey is an insight into how these tales may be affecting me.

Labels

Friday, August 1, 2008

In Spades

It's really too bad my mom isn't able to be a blogger. She'd whoop my stories. She's got me beat in spades...

While I was attending one of the oodles of kindergartens I attended as a lad, my mother dropped me by my grandparents to visit my sister just before Christmas. Don, the man I dubbed Aflack, and my mother seem to have had some business to tend to. It was convenient to live me in the charge of someone else. Especially being that I enjoyed my sister's company, and she mine.

I believe it was December 8th, a Saturday...? I could figure out the year I suppose. Or I could just call my mom... Nah! Anyways, a cop comes to our door. I don't recall the flow of that particular grapevine. I was hiding from the cops, as trained. I think it was: grandfather, grandmother, sister, then me. The scene was familiar. As my grandfather knelt down beside me, my sister laid her hand on my back and my grandmother softened her eyes. I burst into tears.

My mother had been sitting in the front seat of a Chevy Nova. On her right, Aflack. On her left, the drunken owner of the car. On top of them? The trailer of an 18 wheeler. Thank God it was parked. The driver, as Don, suffered no injuries worth mentioning. My mom, on the other hand, had been crushed between the two men when the car slammed its side into the truck. Nobody had been wearing seat belts. In effect, my mom was a packet of ketchup in a wayward child's fist.
Her hips were shattered. To this day, she can barely run, and has internal problems she refuses to speak of.

0 Responses: