The Beating...

The speeding feet in the pounding rain. The perpetual beat of a heart. Pounding blood. There is a cave in my heart.
Stepping out of the rain, into the shadows, the noise transitions from the wash of the cloudburst to the flow of your anxious blood. Then to the pounding of your heart. It's so loud. Terrifying, yet trusted.
The roar is overwhelmed by the beating. The beating of dark membranes. You have disturbed them. You are enveloped by their plethora of leather-silk wings.
Neither bird nor beast, the ostracized. Bats. After they have settled, you see the moonlight reflected in two tapetums. The truth in those eyes, is it familiar to you? Or should you be frightened? How many lives has this creature lived?
Come in, friend. Step closer, enemy. You were washed by the rain, rinsed by the darkness, dried by the wings, and clothed. By a purpose.
Am I a panther? Am I the dusk?

THE PLAN for Labels

CHARACTERS are influential people in my tales.
BROWN is tales from a span of ages.
WHITE is tales from age 0-7.
RED is tales from age 8-14.
ORANGE is tales from age 14-21.
YELLOW is tales from age 22-28.
GREEN is tales from age 29-35.
BLUE is tales from age 36-42.
INDIGO is tales from age 43-49.
PURPLE is tales from age 50-56.
BLACK is tales from age 57-63.
Grey is an insight into how these tales may be affecting me.

Labels

Saturday, August 2, 2008

Invisible Fence

When I lived in Lake Havasu, I had this back pack I carried all my mugetike (Gear in Sezjeghnin). It's always something. My blue coat, the black back pack. Currently my man bag.

I think I liked the back pack best, although my man bag is more compartmentalized and things are readily accessible. The reason my back pack was my favorite is because I had either my Junglee knife or my K-Bar clipped to one of the straps. The K-Bar was more visible, for when I wanted to intimidate. The Junglee, being in a black ballistics sheath, blended in with the pack; you hardly knew it was there. It was good for traveling outside of Arizona, where knives aren't so legal.

One evening, as I was walking to the book store, I was nearly accosted by two large dogs. I had walked by a home at which the family was slouched on the porch, drinking beer. Nothing wrong with that. Except their dogs were on the porch as well. There were no chains, leashes, nor fences. Being dogs on their own turf, and their masters present; I being a stranger upon the dogs' "territory" (dogs don't understand our borders), they saw fit to attack.

The owners had this white-trash, smug look on their faces. I'd seen it plenty before: Anyone who travels via car or bicycle is inferior. They just sat there with smirks as their dogs worked themselves into a frenzy, climaxing in their charging me.

My response? I whipped out my K-Bar, crouched and lunged. You'd be amazed at how fast and far those fat bastards leaped to their dogs' defense.

No animals were hurt in the making of this memory. Neither dogs, white-trash, nor Creature.

0 Responses: